Sunday, September 20, 2015

Welcome To Saturday

Saturday is a key day in living the new life. It is the last day of workouts which means I still have some hard work to do before getting a day and a half to relax and enjoy myself. Here is how my typical Saturday works:

Sleeeeeeep:

One of the reasons why Saturday ends up being a key day is because I can get an extra hour or 2 of sleep. I typically stay up later on Friday nights and the next day let myself wake up with no alarm. This usually puts me waking up at a time when on a typical weekday I've already been awake for 4 hours. That is some key sleep to break up the monotony of waking up at 5:45am.

Lunchfast:


Mushroom Crab Eggs Power Breakfast - Crabcake, Eggs, Mushrooms, English Muffin, Orange Juice

Because I am waking up later, that means I am sleeping through breakfast. With that in mind, I take my typical breakfast and add some power to it, tossing in some extra protein and carbs to make it more of a substantial meal (typically add meat like steak, chicken or crabcakes). 700-800 calories works good here.





Because it is Saturday, I don't have to go right from breakfast to the gym, so I have more time to relax and digest the food. This means I can eat more food and not have any stomach issues at the gym.


Workout:




My Saturday workouts at this point involve my knee rehab. I don't even do any weight lifting, yet I'll be at the gym for 2+ hours. Aside from the typical drills and exercises my physical therapist has me doing, I also have extra time to do some cardio.

Unfortunately I can't do this every day yet (1x per week for now), but on Saturday I run on the elliptical for 30 straight minutes after my workout. This really takes a lot out of me since I'm not in "running shape" and really pushes my body after it has already worked out for an hour and a half.


Hot Tub:



The best part about Saturdays takes place after the workout. This is the time I get to go in the hot tub! Instead of working out at my gym, I go to a local rec center that has a huge pool and hot tub. After the rough workout I take a dip in the pool and then relax for 10 minutes in the hot tub. I take a shower at the gym, throw on clean clothes, and after 5-6 days of working out in a row I feel like a million bucks when I walk out the front door.

Milkshake:




After my workout I do not go home. I do not pass go. I go directly to Silver Diner and pick up a delicious milk shake. The shake runs around 670 calories but it is a welcoming treat after getting through a rough week of workouts. Plus it can't be too bad for post-workout recovery.

The shake I get is the low fat mocha shake with no whipped cream. It's the lowest calorie shake I like and since the day has a lot of time left, gives me room for a nice dinner later. After the shake/gym I typically ice my leg and watch some tv. I feel soooooo good at this moment.

Dinner Out:


Outback Special - Steak, Broccoli, Salad - They claim its under 600 calories, but I leave 200 extra in case

I just decided this 2 days ago, but I'm going to make Saturday my night to go out and enjoy a meal at a restaurant. When cooking your own food and not really having too many luxuries, you can easily burn out. But on Saturday nights I get to leave the cooking to the professionals and enjoy a more delicious and not so healthy (but still pretty healthy) meal.

I do the research ahead of time and make sure I go to a place that has their nutritional information online. This typically means I will be going to a chain restaurant and not my favorite local cheesesteak shop, but these restaurants offer some "healthy-ish" food choices. I won't get a bloomin onion, but some meat with a side of veggies is perfectly ok. Around 600 calories is the key here and it can be done.

-----

So that is how I spend my Saturdays. Work hard, play hard. The next day is nothing but a recovery day and after a long Saturday and long week boy do I need it.

No comments:

Post a Comment